82 Cabrio charging problem

The new alternator is putting out 14 volts while wires disconected from battery ,and the battery is new but something is preventing the alternators from charging the battery.

If it sets awhile on start up the center console meter will read 13.5 volts but as soon as the RPMs are kicked up then the meter drops below

12 volts.

Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
Kafertoys

You should never disconnect the alt. wires from the battery on a running engine!!. Seems you have fried the v.regulator/(field)diodes.

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@q30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

Could this this problem developed due to a short in an aftermarket radio? Who ever installed was very inexperianced to say the least.

I suspected the voltage regulator and will have it replaced instade of replacing an already remanufactured alternator.

Thanks its always nice to have conformation.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

No, a short in the radio or any other device will first blow a fuse. And in case of no fuse it'll burn a wire and next the car.

SFC

Could this this problem developed due to a short in an aftermarket radio? Who ever installed was very inexperianced to say the least.

I suspected the voltage regulator and will have it replaced instade of replacing an already remanufactured alternator.

Thanks its always nice to have conformation.

Mario

Reply to
SFC

If it has a Motorola alternator check the terminals in the plug. Usually they can get loose and the alternator will not put out enough current. I sometimes remove that plug and install correct size terminals. 2 big and 1 normal size female terminals. First I try to clean and squeeze the terminals together to make them tighter.

AND what SFC says. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1