82 Rabbit convertible, another electrical question.....

alright so ive been going through the bentley manuel and trouble shooting what i can so i have almost all my lights back now minus my turn signals anyone have any idea whats up my emergency flashers work so i know that the flasher relay is good all my break lights work parking lights are good but my turn signals are a no go i get the green light in my dash when i flick on the left or right turn signal i get power going through my fusebox to the wires (brand new fusebox) i get power through my steering column when i flick on left or right signals i just can get the turn signals to turn on the blubs aren't out cuz they come on when i turn on the emergency flashers ive cleaned the contacts till they are shiney, still nothing please help me

Reply to
durtyharry

is that a dual filiment bulb supposed to be in there?

durtyharry wrote:

Reply to
vwtopdown

You also know then that the turn signal component of every bulb is good, because they use the same filament.

Do you get enough? I'd look for some kind of problem in the fuse panel/relayblock/dash harness wiring, that might be preventing the relay from functioning.

Andrew Sullivan

The problem may be inside the turn signal lever on the steering column. Remove the steering wheel, then remove the lever and take a look. If possible, obtain a replacement lever and try it. Good luck.

Reply to
Papa

I have an '86 Cabriolet with a similar problem. My mechanic (who is very good) was never able to find the problem. But in my case I have a workaround. If I put the hazard switch half-way between the off and on position, the turn signals work. (New switch and new flasher relay did not help.)

Reply to
KenM

Sounds like your hazard switch is farked, try a new one?

nate

KenM wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

you are running out of things to check BUT....you have narrowed it down to the signal light contacts or the wires up to the steering wheel (pull and inspect the tangs on the inside of the plastic plugs and then reaffix the plastic plugs to their sockets). I would then move to the contact points under the steering wheel and a bit of sandpaper before I would blame semi broken wires from the plastic plug as you now looking at the wiring from the signal switch lever to the relay.

Reply to
wrenchwench