83 rabbit gas problem

Hi- A little while back I made a post regarding the fact that my 83 rabbit was leaking gas through the filler hose and past the gas cap causing not only dangerous puddles of gas pouring down the side of my car but also noxious fumes. I got alot of really great commemts, and first of all I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to the conversation. Well I said once I had the problem solved I would let everyone know what the cause was. Turns out it was nothing more than the wrong gas cap after all. I took it to a shop, and although they did not drop the tank (stateing that it would get costly and they would probrably end up doing more damage than good) they did however check all the lines they could get to and were unable to find any problems. So I guess at that point I decided to try the simplest and cheapest thing before I was forced to drp the tank. I ordered a cap- and it was slightly different than the one I had, of course I still had my doubts, but I put it on filled it up and have not seen (or smelled) a drop of fuel since. There does not seem to be the same problms with vapor lock (pressure buildup) that I was experiencing with the previous cap either. It has been about a month now and all seems well so at this point I am willing to say that the problem is fixed. If any one else seems to have this problem I would suggest trying a new gas cap before spending oodles of money on expensive and timely reapirs. Expecially on older models such as mine- yoou just never know what has been swapped out and replaced in the past. The differences on the caps seemed minor however the difference in their functionality is obvoius. Thanks again to everyone who helped me- you guys are simply priceles!!!!

Reply to
Chris