84 Rabbit fuel pump question

I have an 84 Rabbit with about 145,000 miles on it.

I'm concerned about the fuel pump since it's so old. I'd like to replace it but I'm not sure if I have an electrical or mechanical pump. Or if I have more than one.

The car is a 1.7l, carburetor engine. I think it has a mechanical fuel pump but when the ignition is on, I can hear a ticking at the carburetor throat.

Any thoughts?

Do I have a mechanical, electrical or both types of fuel pump?

TIA

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

I think it is like the very old Rabbits and has a mechanical pump. Just follow the fuel line from the carb! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If it is mechanical, why would it tick with the engine not running?

Is there no additional electrical pump at the tank with a carb?

As far as maintenance, the fuel filter might be a better and simpler preventive item.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

That's a real puzzle to me.

I've changed to filter many times and will continue to do so. I just thought maybe a fuel pump should be changed every 150,000 miles or so.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Are you sure that is the fuel pump ticking?

BTW I have not seen any fuel pumps at the carb. throat!

Usually the fuel pumps, if electrical, are placed close to the fuel tank. Some mechanical pumps are usually powered by some cam >

Reply to
One out of many daves

Been along time, but here in the USA there were a few Rabbits made with carbs on them. From memory the carbs had a frequency valve(solenoid) that would change the fuel mixture based on the feedback from the O2 sensor. Our dealer was only 20 miles from the Westmoreland VW Plant and we saw a lot of stuff that they were experimenting with.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
Jim Behning

some sort of frequency valve

Wow! Ya mean I have a rare Rabbit? ;-)

Would the frequency valve go "tick, tick, tick"?

I'll have to check and see if it's a Carter carb.

Actually, years ago there was a recall on the carburetors for the Rabbit. The recall involved the throttle shaft breaking... which mine did.

I never got the recall and ended up finding a used carb with a good shaft and making a swap. The company probably owes me a new carb.

They don't do carbs anymore, of course, this is a 1984 model. Still runs good though.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

I have only worked on two of these types of carbed Rabbits and they are long gone from my site. It was strange to see them!

If it ain't broke..............don't fix it! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Part 2 of that is try hard not to break it. Those Carter carbs are like hen's teeth.

Yes I recall that the make a ticking sound when the ignition is on but the engine is not running. That carb is as well documented as the 1984 R34. No one knows about it except a select few. The factory will not admit to producing such a thing. I think that carb engine was rated at

65 hp or so.
Reply to
Jim Behning

Do you have a web site about VWs?

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Yeah i have a tiny website but it is no way as full nor as rich as others. I only have a little info on it about VWs and nothing on the 80's Rabbits with carbs.

I guess I should have used the right word 'sight' >> I have only worked on two of these types of carbed Rabbits and they are >> long

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

tick, tick, tick... that's the bomb count down timer.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Ha! That's the reason for my concern. Probably at 150,000 miles it goes "Boom".

I did a little research using a couple of manuals I have. They say the mechanical pump goes with the carburetor. I guess the electric, high pressure pumps are for fuel injection.

My local parts store sells an in-line electric pump that puts out around 4 psi for a replacement for the mechanical pump. Not sure if anyone makes a mechanical pump any more.

I cleaned off my engine enough to read, on the pump, it says "Carter High-Flo". On the carburetor it says "Mfd by Carter-Weber USA".

So I may end up getting an in-line electric pump to make sure I have gas.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn