84 Scirocco is filling with rain water

Hey Group

I have an 84 Scirocco in very good condition and when I took the tarp off it this spring the floor pans under the two front seats were wet. I dried them out thinking maybe just snow melt etc... but now after my first downpour they are soaked again. I thought I would ask for any leads as to where to look first. There is no obvious water leading to the puddles but I didn't look until the next day so it could of dried. Any suggestions before I climb in and get my wife to "hose me down".

Thanks Matt

Reply to
mclayson

sunroof drains would be my first guess

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Possibly the drain holes under the hood next to the firewall are plugged up with leaves and other debris. Rabbit Cabriolets are susceptible to that, and using a coat hanger wire to punch through the debris in the drain holes will take care of it. Then adding a screen under the hood where the slits are (near the wipers) will prevent more leaves from getting in.

Reply to
Papa

Cool will check that out... no sunroof but thanks anyway for the responses. Anymore?

Matt

Reply to
mclayson

My scirocco is an old one with the brake lines running through the inside the car. The rubber that protects the lines at the entry point was damaged which caused the same puddle.

SFC

"mclayson" schreef in bericht news:w9GdneecW_q-kc snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...

Reply to
SFC

First off, under a tarp? You do realize that's one of the better ways to make SURE you get surface rust, right? The generally non-porous tarps are good at keeping rain and other falling water off the car. But they also capture any rising humidity, like from the ground warming up as day progresses. And, let me guess, it's also parked on dirt? Probably not but that's also one of the best ways to cause underbody rot for largely the same reasons.

As for the water, first thought is vent drains are plugged. Others ideas would depend on the angle at which it sat. If it was level then I'd go looking closely at the window seals. But it's probably the drains. How much mold built up? That you can see...

But if it was tarp condensation then it could have taken quite a while to build up and you'll never find a specific leak.

Reply to
wkearney99