85 Cabriolet problems in bumper to bumper...

Hi guys and gals,

I have a 1985 Cabriolet that will run all day long down the freeway, but when I get into stop and go traffic, the engine will eventually begin to cut out. Sometimes I can start it up and drive some more, other times it won't stay running until it cools down and then everything is fine. It's almost as if the engine gets flooded. Could the cold start valve be coming on during the wrong time? I may be imagining things ( as I was parked along side the freeway this afternoon ), but I hear a noise under the hood that I don't normally hear when the car does this.

The car idles fine when cold -- goes up to around 1300 and gradually drops as the car warms up to 900 or so, occassionally drops below that and then kicks up temporarily to 1000. ( idle stabilizer ).

I have not troubleshot fuel delivery issues in the past and that's the one area I'm a bit leery of trying myself. Any ideas of things to look at or things to try before I take it to the shop?

Reply to
mikedawg

I wonder if it is something simple like the coil. Stop and go creates a lot more heat under the hood. Perhaps that's affecting the coil?

Reply to
mikedawg

Make sure the hot idle is correct with no idle compensation devices plugged in. Check for vacuum leaks. There should not be any clicks of idle compensation devices unless you turn on the AC. Well the radiator fan coming on might cause enough of an electrical load to need to bump the idle.

Make sure the ground strap from the alternator to the engine is good. I am not sure if the 1985 had one but it was critical on a 1980-1984 Rabbit. Most straps were frayed and shot after 20 years.

You could remove the control pressure regulator, remove the two fuel lines and blow out any crud that is in the inlet screen. That would be an exercise just for amusement. In an old car there may be crud in there. Have you changed the fuel filter just for good measure?

Have you cleaned the contacts and the wiring harness that plugs in to the distributor hall sensor?

These are all things I have done over the years when I had a 1984 GTI. It has the same fuel injection and ignition system.

Reply to
Jim Behning