85 golf - sunroof sticking

The electric/power sunroof on my '85 golf only opens a fraction of an inch at a time. Each time I press the button it opens something like half an inch. There's a distinctly audible click, like an electrical relay opening. I have to release the button and then depress it again dozens of times to get the sunroof fully open or fully closed.

Does it just need to be lubricated? Or might it be an electrical problem? What kind of lubricant is recommended for this year/model?

As a side note: Removing the plastic panel covering the sunroof motor, I was amused to find that VW has stashed an allen wrench right there for use in manually opening/closing the sunroof. I don't know whether to praise them for their clever foresight, or chastise them for shipping a known failure-prone system!

thanks, Tobin

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

Whoops - I meant '95, not '85.

Reply to
Tobin Fricke

I had a Mercedes with a similar issue - and spray-applied white lithium grease on the tracks did the trick nicely. Help it along the first few times and keep spraying the grease as you go. Mind you now, this can be a very sloppy business unless you shield everything around the area you are spraying. When you are done and everything is working smoothly, wipe down any areas of overspray leaving the lubricant only on the tracks and exposed moving parts.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw