85 Jetta GLI Fuel Pump Relay - 4 or 5 terminals?

The fuel pump relay on my 85 Jetta GLI with CIS-E fuel injection has 4 terminals. However, the Bentley manual shows 5 terminals. The only 4 terminal fuel pump relay I could find in the schematics was for an 87 16V (CIS-E). I thought that only the the CIS system used a 5 terminal relay.

Reply to
Wayne Faas

I've gotta ask: "Was it workign with the four terminal relay at any point in time?" if yes, then I'd say four was correct.

Reply to
PeterD

On my 1984 GTI (CIS), remember when you first turned on the key, the fuel pump would kick on momentarily for a couple seconds to charge up the system. Perhaps what the fifth pin was for, now done by computer.

Reply to
Rich