85 Jetta hard start

After my 85 Jetta 1.8 Liter GL has been sitting for a few hours or overnight, it's become hard to start. This is a car that has been famous since I bought it for starting at the first bump of the key. Now, we have to crank, stop cranking, crank again, stop cranking, and listen to it almost catch, then crank again, stop cranking again, and finally, the motor catches. The starter has plenty of crank, but the motor acts like it's not getting gas. After its initial difficulties, it's back to starting just fine until the next time it sets for a while. The problem doesn't seem related to cold or hot outside temperature.

It's CIS, not Motronic, way before Digifant, with an automatic transmission. Looking for a place to start troubleshooting.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

I'd start by checking all the fuel lines, hoses, connections and filters for leaks. If air can enter the lines, then fuel will drain back and not re-fill again right away, causing you to have to crank longer. Can you smell raw gas outside the car?

Reply to
Brian Running

No smell of raw gas, no leaks under the car. The fuel lines are old, since the car has in excess of 200,000 miles on it, but there's no visible leakage under the hood. There'd be clean spots, and there are definitely none of those ;-).

I wondered if this was symptomatic of the fifth injector for cold starting, but the fact that it happens even when the car is warm argues against that. The car is kept in a heated garage overnight, and still does this, even though it's in a 65-degree (F) environment when we try to start it in the morning.

Reply to
Pat

Transfer pump dead?

Reply to
Eduardo K.

probably a non-functioning cold start valve. check: cold start valve (AKA the cold start fuel injector), (-) ground from temperature sensor and (+) power from starter.

let us know what you find!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

"Pat" wrote

Also check the fuel pump relay as it could be operating intermittantly or has poor deteriated contacts. Next time is does NOT start, turn the key off and on and see if you can hear the fuel pump cycle. What could, beside the tips you got here, be happening is that the relay may be malfuntioning 'warms up' from the voltage attempts and finally makes a circuit to start the car. Locate it and wiggle it too if you can't hear the pump cycle - obviously - as others have stated other things - could be a number of things.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

I don't think it's the cold start valve if the problem occurs with a warm engine.

Seems like my CIS Rabbit did something like this and it turned out to be a bad fuel accumulator, it sits under the car next to the main fuel pump if memory serves.

I would also replace the fuel filter as a matter of course, as a dirty fuel filter will soon trash an expensive fuel pump if not replaced quickly. A new filter is a lot cheaper than a new pump. ;)

Let's see, my Fox book (Fox is CIS too), says hard starting warm or cold can be caused by:

Faulty coolant temperature sensor Faulty auxiliary air regulator Vacuum leaks Worn or damaged fuel pump Fuel filter restricted Faulty evaporative emissions system Weak spark Faulty Electronic Control Unit

I'd start with the filter and go from there.

Reply to
tylernt

Used the Bentley procedure to test the cold start valve. It squirted fuel fine when hooked to 12 volts, but there was no ground at the terminals, so got a replacement for the temperature sensor out of a wreck and tested it by hooking it up and grounding it to the block. The cold start valve works with the new one. So, unscrewed the old sensor and screwed the new one in. The coolant outlet fitting crumbled where the time delay thing screws in, effectively grounding the car until I can get a replacement. I've got one coming from a yard in Montana, but it's usually 4-5 days getting stuff from there by mail. UPS only offers overnight to Juneau, at $50 a whack, so I prefer mail. Plus, I now get the joy of draining the coolant and replacing it.

Reply to
Pat