'85 Jetta - is it JUST the clutch ?

I'm looking at buying a '85 Jetta that's for sale down the street. 150,000 miles, engine runs good, body in excellent shape, for $1,000.

Only thing that concerns me is the clutch/tranny - it doesn't 'slip' but it's difficult to get into gear, you have to be at almost a dead stop to get it into first. Second is a little better. The other gears aren't as bad but still nowhere near what I'd call smooth.

QUESTION - Could all this be explained by merely a worn-out clutch ? Or is it an indicator that the entire gearbox is toast ? And if it's only the clutch, what's a reasonable price for a clutch job on a Jetta ?

Reply to
Biggie Frise

What do you mean difficult to get in gear? If it feels sloppy, it is probabally just the shifter linkage bushings. You can get a set for less than 10$ and are very easy to change. If you need to downshift to first at speed, you should double clutch.(Push in clutch. Put in neutral. Release clutch. Rev engine just a bit. Push in clutch. Put in lower gear.) Downshifting to first at speed exerts a lot of work on the synchrorings. Working on these cars are very easy and HQ OEM parts can be had for great prices. Personally, I would try to pursue the seller into a lower price considering the mileage and depending on the amount of new parts recently put in. Remember it is a 20 year old car with said mileage, so expect to have to put some work into it.

Jerritt

remove the first 's' > I'm looking at buying a '85 Jetta that's for sale down the street. 150,000

Reply to
Jerritt

What I mean by difficult is, it won't go into first unless I'm at a dead stop at idle. It doesn't "thunk" into gear or grind like it would if the clutch were shot, just a lot of initial resistance on moving the lever into position.

Second gear isn't quite so bad, especially if I make sure the RPM is

1500-1800.

Yes, the linkage bushings are sloppy and the reverse lockout tab is broken, you have to "know" where the positions are. I've had a couple of VWs previously, this seems to be typical after a certain age, but I've never seen one THIS difficult to get into gear also.

I'm prepared to replace the linkage bushings, and I'd probably have a shop do the clutch. I just want to be reasonably certain that these symptoms could all be explained by this and don't necessarily mean bigger problems inside the gearbox.

Jerritt wrote in news:zncHe.107863$oK.46069@okepread02:

Reply to
Biggie Frise

Shifter linkage bushings are shot... happened on our 91 Golf, wear and tear gets the better of the bushing.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

well as far as I know, your not supposed to be able to shift into first without being at a dead stop, my jetta is that way aswell as any others I've seen,I think its made that way,so you actually have to completely stop at stop signs lol,but I agree do the bushings first,youll be amazed at the difference they can make

Reply to
gutlessjetta

You can get into first at lower speeds... not quite a dead stop - pretty much idle speed and below... I never shifted into 1st when the car had very much momentum (1- 3 kph maybe and below) anyways, that's what 2nd is for (hell, the old 1.8L could pull along at idle in 3rd if the road was flat).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Now that I remember, it was hard for me to get into lower gears at speed until I change the gear oil to the redline mt-90. It REALLY helps during cold weather too.

Biggie Frise wrote:

Reply to
Jerritt

My owners manual talks about this, says this is how it should be. I hafta rev my engine quite a bit to make it slide into 1st. I don't do this on a regular basis just had to try it. It was a major issue downshifting in my 88 Jetta but that car had high miles and sloppy linkage. My current car is a low mile 88 Golf that shifts so well I am gonna install a short shift kit for a short time. :)

Reply to
Ben

My owners manual talks about this, says this is how it should be. I hafta rev my engine quite a bit to make it slide into 1st. I don't do this on a regular basis just had to try it. It was a major issue downshifting in my 88 Jetta but that car had high miles and sloppy linkage. My current car is a low mile 88 Golf that shifts so well I am gonna install a short shift kit for a short time. :)

Reply to
Ben

Reply to
none2u