85 to 81 diesel transplant?

I have a 1981 Rabbit PU from which someone removed the diesel engine and replaced it with a gas engine. The wiring has been butchered, but the body is in great shape for northern NE.

I'm considering buying a 1985 Golf diesel parts car in order to replace the PU's current engine with something similar to the original engine.

My question is: how similar would the engine setup be, and just as important, how similar would the wiring be in the engine compartment and under the dash? I would need to use it as a model to know what goes where.

Thanks,

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

I like your project. Keep us informed.

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

Should be easy if that diesel engine can take the A1 right side mount!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

should be easy. the engine is the same but the mounts themselves are different but as long as you have the appropriate mount brackets it should be fine. There also shouldn't be a lot of wiring. The wiring that was butchered was to accomodate the gas engine and it probably introduced more wiring due to the fuel injection system. Diesels of that vintage have less wiring than gas engines. you will probably find that the hacked wiring can probably even be removed since you're essentially reverting back to a diesel engine again.

Reply to
Matt B.