85 vanagon heat

i have a vanagon that is getting no heat even after taking the system apart and replaceing the rubber hoses front to back and thermostat. I have also blown ait thru the heater core to see it was clear.

now to feel foolish (lol) this has an 86 golf engine, that has powered the vangon for over a year just great but now heat would be nice.

could it bet water pump is not strong enough? does the tyco(sp) kit use something different?

Reply to
Kafertoys

Had same problem. Fix was to bleed the system. Park on a steep hill or jack the front up as high as possible. Let the engine cool down.Remove the front grill and loosen the bleed bolt on top of the radiator. Make sure that the fill tank is full, start the engine and keep an eye on the bleed bolt and overflow tank (opposite ends of the van 8^). As soon as the air stops bubbling out of the bleed bolt (solid stream of coolant comes out), tighten the bolt down. If the engine gets warm, do NOT open the overflow tank cap to top off the coolant level. You get a face full of hot coolant if you do (Don't ask how I know.)

WheatShucker

Reply to
try

Thanks I did that just after I put the vanagon togther. wasn't sure if the heat system was going to have me doing it again.

Reply to
Kafertoys

wrote

Could it be something as simple as a problem with the cable that operates the heater tap?....a common enough problem.

It lives under the spare wheel so you need to remove the wheel and open the heater tap manually. You may as well leave it in that position for the winter.

Reply to
caroline

Yep, either the valve or it needs to be burped. At the very least burped - TRY has that part covered nicely. Then the valve.

For the record, if you do get the heat running and leave the valve wide-open, it can get pretty oppressively warm inside. Eventually you will want to get that valve functioning properly if it is not now.

While you are at it, pay attention to the hoses and if an automatic, pay *ACUTE* attention to the transmission-oil cooler. Transmission oil cooler failure =3D new transmission + new radiator + new hoses all around.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Forgot to add: Make sure that the dash heater control is all the way open.

-Bob

Reply to
try

"caroline" wrote

So, was this info of any use to you?

Or are you too busy playing about on RAMVA?

Reply to
caroline