86 diesel golf over revved

Help info on stuck acelleration on golf diesel . engine restarted but now smokes me out of the car any ideas ?!!!

Reply to
jed1

Explain the circumstances a bit more. Was this a case of a diesel runaway, where the engine began running on oil mist sucked into the intake?

Reply to
Roger Brown

runaway, where the engine began running on oil mist sucked into the intake?

Sounds like it to me.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

BTW, what should one do in this situation? Stall it (if manual)? Wait until the oil is used up?

Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Wenzel

Stall oput the engine, hitting the brakes hard will usually do it.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Reply to
Woodchuck

This would happen to me with a used 92 turbo diesel I bought. It would happen running down the highway at 130-140 km/h. I had 350,000km so the engine was a little loose. The first time is scared the crap outta me. If I dropped the clutch it would rev up, so that was a bad idea. I hit the brakes and pulled over and stopped (stalling the car). After a few minutes of contemplating, I restarted the car and to my amazement, it ran perfectly. It became evident I was sucking engine oil, and that I destroyed the glow plugs. It happened on occassion (I tried not to drive too fast) and I would just slow down (riding the brakes) and things would return to normal pretty quick. Catching it right away, I would not hurt the glow plugs. The car is now in diesel heaven RIP. (Oh, of course do not wait for the oil to be used up - this would destroy your already tired engine.) Rick

Reply to
Rick De Visser

Yes i believe that is the case. I did stall it to stop the engine what are my options ? complete over haul or new glow plugs and piston rings what caused it in the first place? it was running fine up till then

I've owned the car about a year I've canged oil and fitlers at least twice. My theory is that idle speed connection regulator came loose. I was have problems with overheating after I first bought it but I replaced the thermostat and all the hose and flushed out the cooing system thats all i've done to it till now. thanks for the help Jed

Reply to
jed1

Yes i believe that is the case. I did stall it to stop the engine what are my options ? complete over haul or new glow plugs and piston rings what caused it in the first place? it was running fine up till then

I've owned the car about a year I've canged oil and fitlers at least twice. My theory is that idle speed connection regulator came loose. I was have problems with overheating after I first bought it but I replaced the thermostat and all the hose and flushed out the cooing system thats all i've done to it till now. thanks for the help Jed

Reply to
jed1

I don't have any diesel experience, and I find this phenomenon to be surprising.

I am wondering why there would be an expectation of hurting the glow plugs in a situation like this.

And I am wondering if perhaps synthetic oil would have the advantage of not serving as fuel. Don't know myself.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Worn piston rings causing excess blow by that caused oil vapor to be vented into the intake manifold. The oil then acted like fuel and the engine then ran uncontrolably till it blew or ran out of oil vapor. The common term for this is "diesel runaway". There is no timing involved as the oil is just sprayed in so the engine is subject to some very violant pressures.

Nothing to do with the pump or any part of it. The last diesel that did this trick for me had previously blown a hose and overheated. The piston rings then stuck in their groves and the car would not start for lack of compression. I bought it cheap and then managed to free them up without dissambly but it then had excss blowby. While tooling up a hill on the freeway in that 90 jetta diesel, four people and ac on, it started it's "diesel runaway" and the racket was not a good sound. It served my wife well untill a chevy s10 blazer ran a stop sign and T-boned her. Jetta went to the lube shop in the sky and the wife's knees are messed up.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo