86 Jetta battery hold-down bracket bolt size?

Hello:

I have an 86 Jetta GL automatic. What is the size of the front battery hold-down bracket bolt head? Is it 13mm? What is a good solution for loosening the bolt from a rusted bracket?

Thanks,

Steven C. Perkins

Reply to
scperkins

It's 1/2". I had to take my battery to get it charged yesterday and I used that size socket. The bolt/bracket was rusted so I sprayed some WD-40 and waited 5 minutes for it to penetrate the metal and it loosened nicely. I recommend using an extension arm to a ratchet.

AJ.

1992 Jetta.
Reply to
Amit Joneja

Ingo Braune wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@web.de: Thanks,

SCPerkins

Reply to
scperkins

You will hardly find "imperial" sized bolts on a VW, but as 1/2" is

12.7mm it may have been close enough to 13mm. btw. 13mm is the standard head for M8 (thats 8mm thread-diameter) hex-bolts.

Me too.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

13mm. Lot's of WD-40. Put the socket on the head, extension on the socket and hammer on the extension. More WD-40. If all else fails, VERY careful application of heat with a propane torch (after the WD-40 residue is gone).
Reply to
Darryl

And get another wrench good and solid on the corresponding nut underneath the battery mount or you might take some skin off when you finally get the bolt to move...

-Antony

Reply to
Antony Hilliard