86 Jetta engine dies

Hello:

I replaced the battery on Tuesday and went to work that night and Wed. No problems. Thursday I was going to the bank when the engine died in the middle of going through an intersection on level ground. Made it to the curb and re-started. As soon as I gave it gas or tried to shift (automatic) into gear the engine dies. Had it towed to a garage. Battery and alternator are good. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steven C. Perkins

Reply to
scperkins