87 16V Scirocco Trans

Can anyone suggest a source for a transaxle for a '87 16V Scirocco?

Used or, preferably, rebuilt.

It's an AGB transmission.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

where abouts are you?

I found a place here in the Chicago area that I would trust for both automatic and manual VW transmissions/transaxles. They repair or rebuild them.

other places like APTuning Transmission Rebuild and Upgrade Services

don't know about

Used you might find some on ebay or craigslist.org I have bought some used ones from the U-Pull-It places that were OK but they are old too. If you are keeping this rare car then I would go with remanufactured by a good company and make sure they update it with clips to stop the self-machining problem. ;-)

BTW can you stick in a late model trans like out of a 1998 Jetta/Golf?

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

AA Transaxle

here in Washington state is top notch. Daryl is the only one I'd trust to do the job right.

Todd

Reply to
racertod

Their site says Scirocco "5 spd w/ early 8 Valve Eng." so it seems unlikely they can help me.

Still, I've sent them mail asking. Better to be sure before dismissing them.

Thanks.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Hopkinton, Massachusetts.

I'd like to find somewhere local, but I'm assuming I'll have to ship.

Wouldn't hurt to ask. Got a web site, e-mail, phone number, what have you for them?

If I could get one very cheap, I'd consider it. I've actually found one which, if the odometer is to be believe, has about 90K on it. Even talked to the owner who said it was running fine when he parked it. But hey, mine was "running fine," with only 70K on it's rebuilt trans, less than a month ago. Now it's got problems.

Yes, I plan to keep the car. I'm much more looking for a good rebuild than I am for a used one.

Thanks for the reminder on the self-machining issue. I'd heard of that before but forgot about it.

I don't know. Some say it'll take a transmission from some other models, though not ten years later. But the suggested "other models" are about as hard to find as this one is.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

I believe the 16V Scirocco still uses an 020 trans; I think most Corrado, A3, A4, A5 use 02A if not something newer.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Call John's in Vermont. Also call Autex in Keene NH. Both may be able to point you in the right direction.

Reply to
PeterD

Yes I vote you try to keep it local to you in case of problems. ;-)

Hmmm I do wonder if a later model trans would fit, like maybe even a 1991 Passat trans.

good luck! One out of many daves

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1