87 German Jetta GL A/C and Startup Problems

I am having some problems with my 1987 German Jetta GL.

the 2 problems are as follows....

  1. I retrofitted my jetta to use R134 refrigerant, but found that there was a hole in the line(where the piping hooks into the condenser.) I hooked the piping back up to the condenser, but now The A/C seems to blow just a few degrees colder than ambient air. Are there any ideas as to why this may be?

  1. When I start the engine(cold), it hesitates, acts as if it's going to die, then picks up. (This also happens on occasion(maybe once a month, while I'm driving the car.. I will get some heistation.) When I press on the gas, it acts as if it wants to die, but if I floor it for a second or so, the problem seems to be solved.(It also helps when I have the air blowing.. makes the rpms go up from about 1K to near 2K) I have replaced the fuel filter, and this seemed to help some. The spark plugs have been replaced 3 mos. ago, but not the wires.(didn't have the $$ at the time) The fuel pump relay is good, I've tested it in another VW of same make/model year. Could it be the fuel strainer at the fuel pump being clogged? Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Larry

Reply to
LC

Larry,

Depending on what type of fuel injection system you have, there are many possibilities...vacuum hoses, airflow sensors, etc. etc.

Personally, I'd take it to a service facility.

Bruce

Reply to
B. Skelton