88 FOX GL questions

I have recently acquired a 88 fox (love it so far) and have had some clanking/metal on metal sounds while cranking the wheel to its farthest extent. Is or could this be the C-V Joints? Any ideas at all? I'm sure it's not the suspention as it only makes this noise when I am giving the wheels power I can steer equally sharp with no ill effects while coasting.

Also I see tons and tons of info about dasher and audi fox exhaust parts and techtonics/eurosport catback systems...What do you recomend if you have tried either?

What did you do about airflow? Aside from a high flow K&N-like filter. If you didnt do anything at all, how was back pressure? any obvious ill effect? I've read about drilling holes and such, however don't want to jump into that without some more info.

I have also read a lot about break pad replacements, Mine squeek a bit and are rather old, I would appreciate suggestions. I don't want brakes that only grab when hot, I live in a very wet and, during this season, very cold climate. Any ideas?

I can drive my car under 5000 rpms at all times if I must, Any reason I should or should not remove my rev limiter?

And lastly... I have tried to install a sterio and will likely wait to get a chiltons for this...

But if anyone knows.... which wire is for what??

Thanks folks =D

Reply to
Loki

Replies within

Yes check your CV Joints and your control arm bushings. Of course check everything else too. :-)

I think that the exhaust has a restriction just after the cat. conv. So you might want to at least get a replacement pipe that opens the exhaust up there. Muffler shop can help you out. The 1979 Fox supposedly has the dual outlet exhaust manifold that aids in more exhaust flow out of the engine. You might need to relocate the Oxygen Sensor if yours is on the exhaust manifold. A larger Throttle Body may also aid in making your engine a better air pump too.

I have heard about drilling holes in the bottom of the air cleaner box. Creates more possible air flow to the engine but also makes things noisier, and easier for water and rodents to enter. The K&N filter might also allow more dirt to enter the engine also. Bottom line is YES those mods should allow more air inside of engine.

I've got some Repcos (MetalMasters IIRC) for the VW Fox I can sell you fairly cheap if you are interested. I bought quite a few sets from a warehouse clearing out stock. I run this type on my Audi 4000S. They are decent. I think some like Mintex but you have to watch the compounds since some might only work when they do get hot and then might try to grab.

A Bentley manual will be better. Look on Ebay for one at a good price, or buy one from Amazon.com. Chiltons or Haynes makes fun reading though and will sometimes describe jobs in an easier to understand way. I usually use a multimeter and test the wiring. This will allow you to find power leads (red), grounds (brown/black) and speaker wires. Things will make sense since my colors may be wrong. ;-) Oh and if the wiring plugs are still intact then Crutchfield may sell adapters that allow your new stereo to easily plug in. Also they may have car stereo wiring diagrams on their website.

And of course searching the web may provide you with more information on things you are asking about. ;-)

dave

IIRC, on my 90 Fox there were two plugs. One had 4 pairs of wires that were twisted together. That was for the 4 speakers. The other had 3 wires: +12v, Gnd, and Illumination, IIRC red, brown, and green. I accidentally hooked the radio ground to the illumination wire (measured 0 ohms to frame) and burned up the dimmer switch when lights and radio were both on at the same time. Felt stupid about that one. Also, the power wire is not ignition key-dependant. It's always hot.

Don't know if it's the same on an 88 Fox, but there it is, FWIW.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust