88 Fox shifting gear fixture.

Had problems with shifting gears Fox

4 speed trans. replaced worn out plastic part on support rod.shifted better but no reverse.Bently Book claimes I need fixture to get it correct. Is there any other way to get it corrected have no V.W.shop around the neighbour hood years ago plenty of them. any suggestions?? Lambert Moonen
Reply to
Lambert Moonen

Try Ebay or one of the numerous online companies that sell parts (new and used) for older cars. One that I like is 1stVWparts.com, but there are others you can easily find by doing a Google search.

Reply to
Papa

Had the same problem. Did you also replace the other nylon and rubber bushings for the shifter linkage? If not, I would very much recommend doing so while your in there.

If you haven't pulled the splined rod out of the clamp (under the car, between the exhaust and the floorpan), replaceing all of the bushings should give you reverse back.

To adjust: Mark the splined shaft and the clamp it goes into, so you can return it to where it started as a reference point. Disconnect the clamp, pull out the splined shaft, and manually get the tranny lever to engage reverse. You'll know it when you find it. Get in the car, and push the shifter to where reverse should be, wedge something between the passenger seat and the shift lever to hold the lever in place (I used my jack wrapped in a shop rag). Get back under the car and re-seat the splined shaft into the clamp, snug (don't tighten) the clamping bolt. Get in the car, gently test your shifting points to see if they engage. If not, rotate the shaft one spline at a time until the gears all hit correctly - this is where the markings come in handy. Having a helper monkey is useful, but not required.

Hopefully this description makes sense...it was several months ago that I did mine. Once under the car, you should be able to tell what I mean. Basically, you are doing the same operation that the fixture would let you do (after you get the shifter close, then do the adjustment to the shifter cover plate piece), just without the $100 tool.

Good luck! CF

Reply to
CrackFraggle

Just went thru this with my 79 rocco. It has a 92 tranny in it. I had the engine and tranny out last weekend. I repaced the ball the shift lever goes through and got a bushing kit off ebay for 10 bucks. My haynes manual tells how to adjust it all. There are several adjustments. I had mechanics adjust it twice, but when I did it myself it finally is right. The spline was off, and the vertical rod in the linkage had 3/8 inch slop because of the bushings. Shifts like new now....the bushings were the problem.

Reply to
Todd

Reply to
Lambert Moonen