88 Fox update

In regards to the coolant temp sensor in prior posts... I confused the thermo-time switch with the coolant temp sensor when I made resistance readings. First is on top of the coolant port, latter is on bottom. That is why the replacement coolant temp sensor did not fit the port and looked much different. When I finally determined that, pulled the original coolant temp sensor. Read in excess of 40Kohms at body temperature (put in my pants pocket for about 10 minutes). Well in excess of 26 Kohms at 68F, decreasing resistance as temp increases. Installed the Bosch replacement coolant temp sensor in its place. Results were immediate. Normal higher rpm idle that steadily leveled to normal rpms during warmup. The big black gas cloud at startup, and rump-a-rump-rump start cold start exhaust noise is gone. Gas mileage is back to normal 32 mpg, was around 24 mpg before with bad coolant temp sensor.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think such an insignificant appearing sensor affect the engine running as drastically as it did.

Reply to
Dioclese

[...]

dave AKA vwdoc1