88 Golf coolant warning light & gauge

Hi,

My 88 Golf suddenly has started to flash it's red temp gauge light even when I start it from cold. The gauge also moves from left all the way to right. Anyone got any clue as to what may be causing this?

Thanks, rich

Reply to
Richard Vermeesch

Did you open the hood and check the coolant level first?

Reply to
Woodchuck

in article ac3d5$4233ad57$41c71315$ snipped-for-privacy@SALSGIVER.COM, Woodchuck at stv snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 3/12/05 5:02 PM:

Yes, the coolant level is fine. Since inquiring with the group about this problem I discovered something. The electrical connection coming from the alternator to the sender was detached. When I installed a new alternator earlier today, I re-attached it. This is what was causing the problems. With it disconnected again the gauge and light work properly. I don't what to think about that, but it works now.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard Vermeesch

Quite bizarre. There should not be a connection from the alternator to the temperature sender. Out of curiosity, what color is the wire? Does it look like something a previous owner might have put in for some after market accessory?

Reply to
Randolph

You should check your engines ground straps. Be shure the generator has ground.... bye MIC

Reply to
MIC

How soon does the gauge move? Almost instantly? or over a few minutes?

if near instantly I'd guess that it's a false reading and some electrical problem is reporting the wrong signal and the car isn't really overheating.

If it takes a few minutes, the car could be overheating and most likely your thermostat is stuck closed.

Reply to
Matt B.