88 GTi Dash problem

I recently bought a decent 88Gti 16V. I like the car. It's been running pretty well for me. It has quirks, but for 160k it's nothing unexpected.

New one that just popped up. When I turn the lights on the multi function display goes dead. If I turn on the brights, the tach goes dead as well.

I suspect some sort of ground problem, but dont' know where to start. Anyone have similar issues and know where to look?

FWIW-the dash lights are out too. This may be a relevant fact. Thanks

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

For others that search this thread in the future.....

While working on something else, I found a broken ground wire on the backside of the motor. Connects to the block near the distributor. I reconnected this and my dash is working properly now(other than the lamps).

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1