88 Volks Vanagon Rain Problems

My 88 Volks Vanagon is having problems when it rains. I live in Los Angeles and granted, this season has been incredibly wet, but I can't help feeling total defeat every time the engine conks out. This happens EVERY TIME IT RAINS!!! The problem starts as soon as I drive through a puddle or get going fast enough for the tires to kick up water. I feel the engine struggling for a moment or two, the electric starts to give, and after a few shudders it dies out completely. I'll coast to the side of the road and start it up again. It'll drive fine for about 15 seconds then die out again. What gives? It's been in a few times to address the issue and my mechanic can't seem to fix the problem. Other than that I love the Vanagon and want to keep it but this issue is beginning to wear thin. Any Suggestions? Thanks Justin

Reply to
justinta77

How long since you replaced your spark plug wires?

Look at the running engine in the dark when things are foggy, and look for arcing.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: : My 88 Volks Vanagon is having problems when it rains. I live in Los : Angeles and granted, this season has been incredibly wet, but I can't : help feeling total defeat every time the engine conks out. This happens : EVERY TIME IT RAINS!!! The problem starts as soon as I drive through a : puddle or get going fast enough for the tires to kick up water. I feel : the engine struggling for a moment or two, the electric starts to give, : and after a few shudders it dies out completely. I'll coast to the side : of the road and start it up again. It'll drive fine for about 15 : seconds then die out again. What gives? It's been in a few times to : address the issue and my mechanic can't seem to fix the problem. Other : than that I love the Vanagon and want to keep it but this issue is : beginning to wear thin. Any Suggestions? : Thanks : Justin

I was having a problem with my Plymouth mini-van once similar to this and it turned out to be the plug wires. I had about 130k miles on it and it was

7 years old.. very frustrating problem with a easy fix...

Mechanic missed it each time but once I noticed the spark arc (he was looking from a different angle) he jumped on the problem then... Does your car have a rubber boot on the distributor? Might check that too...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Check the injector seals. I gather it is fuel injected? They are chea and easy to change. Also,like previously stated, check plug wires an rotor and cap. ,since you are in there. Also,remove and chec thoroughly the throttle body rubber boot for cracks and holes. Clean i ,squeeze it all around and see if you find any seperations. If yo do,get some rtv and seal it up,let sit overnight to cure then install Most likely it'll be in the wires and cap,but a little of each wil make it lose power and sti=utter in the rain.. Been there with my 8 westy

-- Kaveman

Reply to
Kaveman