89 Cabriolet

I am getting ready to change front struts on my 89 Cabriolet. Can anyone offer any advice to make the job goes smoothly. Should I just change inserts or do I need to replace the whole assembly? What other things should I replace while I am doing the job? Once the job is finished, is there anything else that should be done to the suspension after the job is finished.

Thanks,

Reply to
jondavid.kirkham

I vote you change the entire strut. I just did a '92 Cabriolet and they were super rusty and not rebuildable by design. It is an easy job if you have all of the parts and the compressor tool.

OR you could purchase rebuilt ones from here

I think you can get them with springs and bearings ready to go. Just 4 nuts and the strut comes off after the wheel is off then install the rebuilt one. Alignment is required!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Like Doc said, requires a spring compressor. And, a subsequent alignment. Makes more sense to me to take it to a garage that does alignments and let them do the install. The offset of not buying a spring compressor I'll probably never use again and not doing the labor is enough incentive for me. Dave

Reply to
Dave