89 Cabriolet

I have an 89 Cabriolet, When I start the car in the morning, it starts then dies. It takes several cranks, with the gas pedal at various levels to get the car running. It will continue to stall until it warms up. I recently replaced the thermal time switch. Initially it fires right up then immediately quits. Any thought?

Ps. A lot of times you can smell gas.

Thanks, David

Reply to
dkd725

Have not seen an '89 Cabriolet in awhile so I will ASSuME the Fuel Injection is CIS-E.

Coolant Temperature Sensor for the Fuel Injection maybe? THAT is if it runs well after the engine is warm. Might be the Electronic Fuel Pressure Regulator on the side of the fuel distributor also.

It fires right up due to a functioning Cold Start Injector/Valve. Probably running too lean when the engine is cold so the engine dies.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@s28g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

Also look at all the ign. parts, plugs,distr. cap etc. Because of the gas smell it could also be a very rich mixture, maybe a bad cold start injector...

SFC

Reply to
SFC