89 Jetta GLi, handling wrinkle (lateral motion)

Dear all,

I have an 89 Jetta GLi, and the tie rods, front strut inserts, and strut bearings are new, and I can't see any play when I raise the front of the vehicle and twist a wheel - the steering wheel and other wheel seem to twist at the same time. The car doesn't wander on the highway, and there's no noteworthy dead spot on-center in the steering.

Around town sometimes when I make a fairly tight (or even sweeping) turn, I get a second or so of lateral sway (which is redundant, I guess) - the vehicle sways side-to-side for a cycle or two, about 1-2 Hz.

Any ideas what to look for, or ask the mechanic what to look for? Control arm bushings? Tie rod ends? Steering rack play? Rear shocks?

I'm okay with the typical A2 body roll, but this sway mode is irksome.

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

I would check your tire pressure. That can make a night and day difference.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I handled a 94 Jetta that would give a little extra on a turn like it was possessed.

I found a bad bolt that clamps the wheel bearing housing to the ball joint. New bolt and nut tightened down and all is good. Maybe a ball joint or it's bolt and nut??? Or maybe what you suspect. And make sure the wheels are properly torqued down too! lol

dave