89 VW Cabriolet

Couple of things. I have an 89 VW Cabriolet, 210k miles, as stated, when I go to start the car it fires the immediately stalls. When I try to start with the accelerator pedal down, it starts then revs then dies. It takes several attempts to get the car running. Once warm, the car runs fine. Next it appears to be burning some oil, white smoke. Also, on a hot day or if the interior/engine compartment gets warm/hot the readouts on the dash stop functioning, RPM's, temp, gas needles? I also smell fuel sometimes. What do you think?

Reply to
jondavid.kirkham

Personally, I think it's about time for a new car.

Starting problem could be a problem with the cold start valve (the "5th" injector), could be a bad fuel accumulator. Burning oil is to be expected at

210K. Dash problems could be any number of things ... bad ground, flaky relays, bad voltage regulator chip in the cluster. Smelling gas indicates there could be a fuel leak somewhere, or a bad evaporative canister, or a bad tank vent building pressure in the tank, or ...
Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

For 210k, it sounds like your car's running fine. Use good gas (premium) and give it a back yard tune up (oil change, plugs, distributor cap and rotor) for $50. Check all the wires for frayed connections and the hoses for cracks. Check all the fuses. Clean it inside and out. Your car will love you as much as you love it.

Reply to
Ears

Dino oil burns blue. Water/antifreeze is white. Synthetic oil tends to not make much smoke. Check oil level every time you fill the tank. Or you could remove the head for a valve job.

Check all fuel lines. Your car could be the next carbeque.

When was the last time you changed your fuel and air filters? Injectors may need cleaning. If they are leaking then the fuel lines lose pressure and the car is hard to start and run until they pump out the air. If they are electronic injectors you can send them off to get cleaned. Some shops offer on the car cleaning service but if you wanted to eliminate a problem bench cleaning is the answer. Some folks have luck running bottles of Chevron.

If the engine and car were properly maintained, your car is still low mileage depending on where you live. I have owned cars that ran perfectly with over 300,000 miles. Of course you have to do proper mainenance or restoration to have one run well if it is 20 years old or has 300,000 miles on it.

If you are not a mechanic I would guess you could get the car fixed up for a few thousand dollars. If you were a mechanic I would guess a few hundred. It depends on how good of a mechanic you were and how fussy you are.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem causing it not to stay running while the engine is cold. I think your '89 is a CIS-e so it should have an electronic Fuel Pressure Regulator. Maybe it is the Coolant Temperature Sending unit. Cold Start Valve is probably what allows the engine to start when it is cold. ;-)

Buy a Bentley repair manual and test the CTS with a multimeter (to check the ohms) while cold and warm. You can also check the voltage going to and through the FPR

Possibly an electrical problem with the fuse box causing the dash problem.

Look for leaks for the fuel problem. Might be a rusty fuel line, leaking fuel pump, bad seal on the fuel sending unit (and transfer pump) or ???

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Change the plug wires at the same time! Amazing what that will fix... Use good quality wires, not a 'universal' kit.

Reply to
PeterD