'89 VW Cabriolet - Idle revs, then drops

I just picked up an '89 VW Cabriolet. Ordered a service manual, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I need to get the car idling properly so I can get it emissions checked.

Here's the problem: Often, when I release the accelerator, for example when pushing in the clutch and coming to a stop, the idle will drop to about 200 RPM, then rev to about 1200 RPM, then drop again, then rev. Often it drops low enough to stall, but if it makes it through two cycles like this it usually settles to a nice, steady idle at about 800 RPM. I also don't seem to have much of a fast idle when the engine is cold, but I'm not sure if that's related.

I'm only passingly familiar with CIS. On an LH-Jet or Digifant car I'd suspect a gummed-up idle control motor, but I'm not sure if this car even has one. Anyone want to clue me in?

Reply to
David Brodbeck

I had the exact same problem on a 96 Seat (which are vw engines)

as well as the idle speed and stalling it would also lag when driving, you would put your foot down and it just wouldn't accellerate as fast as it should then it would just work.

i adjusted the accellerator cable which helped its idle but my belief was the clutch was burning up. when it went into the garage they adjusted the timing which worked for about a week then when it idled it would sit on about 500-600 RPM's but within a week or two it went back to the original problem.

the car has gone now but i still believe it was the clutch

Reply to
vic

Nah, my problem isn't the clutch. I've had a slipping clutch before; I know what that sounds like. It certainly doesn't affect the idle.

Reply to
David Brodbeck