90 Carat starter relay or solenoid problem

This has happened twice now. I go to start the car in the morning (8v, manual trans) and I get a quiet scratchy/electrical /buzz sound from the front. After a second or two I let off of the key. I try again and it starts right up.

I was thinking the solenoid, but then I realized there's a starter relay there too. It doesn't seem there's any click or turning of the starter.

I suppose I'll have to find the relay and inspect that first, and read in my bentley, but in the meantime any ideas welcomed.

thanks, IR

Reply to
IR

I have found some solutions being in the replacement of the main positive cable to the starter from the battery.

But in your case it may be the wiring to your seat belt if it goes to the door. Does yours attach to the doors? Usually the wiring breaks at that attachment or inbetween the door and the body post within that rubber bellows.

Ign switch is a possibility, but at least clean the battery terminals, posts and the battery charge itself!

good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

In my case, it was the '18' relay that had failed. Not the same VW as yours, but worth a look I think.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Thanks Dave/Al, yes seatbelt attatches to door. Will check wire. I think the relay is #14 on my car, and I have a spare I'll have at the ready.

I see where the seatbelt is mentioned in the Bentley, although I've never noticed any connection between the seatbelt and starting the car...

I'll be looking at the car when I go to put in a steering pump shortly.

IR

Reply to
IR

I remember someone else with a starter that did not function. I told them to fasten their seat belt and have a nice day. It work! lol

Seat Belt Starter Interlock System (is this the correct term for this?) Basically if the driver's belt is not fastened then the starter will not operate! Those wires to the belt sensor can break in a couple of spots and cause problems.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1