91 Fox Radiator Replacement?? seeking advice

i have a non-california 91 fox.

my problem is that the plastic nub on the radiator where the return hose to the resevoir has broken.

i patched it with epoxy putty and it was fine for quite some time. however, it is leaking once again.

i would like to replace this radiator, rather than fix it and take a chance on my fix failing.

i have checked a few online parts sources and found the asking price for a new radiator to be about $180 USD.

i am reluctant to pay that much to keep this car on the road.

**i'd like to know your opinions/experiences with buying junkyard radiators. no one i know has used a junk radiator.

thanks much andy

Reply to
Andy Gingrich

Its hit or miss and doubtful of a garuantee/warranty. Try Parts Place inc. Sales (248) 373-2300 before you hit the junkyard. Huge VW parts house.

They have been recommended by several other VW owners I know who swear by them. They sell new and used parts at decent prices and they'll probably warranty what they sell you.

Reply to
Chris

Remember that you save on the labor if you install it yourself.

them for under $130USDYou have to shop around some and you may find them under $100 NEW. I don't recommend this, but I have seen some people epoxy a sheet metal screw to that hole and block off it's hose. It might buy you some time. ;-)

Don't go used! But that is my opinion. :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Remember that you save on the labor if you install it yourself.

oh, definitely...will definitley be installing it myself.

OK....so how does the coolant return to the resevoir then??

Reply to
Andy Gingrich

Well it doesn't return via the blocked off passage. :-) And you have to bleed it really well from the upper rad hose. I believe that bottle will still function as an expansion tank.

I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS METHOD, BUT IT MAY BE OK FOR A SHORT TIME UNTIL YOU PURCHASE A NEW RADIATOR!

dave

********** It dosen't. A better way to fix it is to buy a steel fitting "nipple" (threads on one end & tube the size of the hose on the other). CAREFULLY run a tap in the hole where the old nipple is broken off. Put some epoxy on the threads of the new nipple & CAREFULLY thread it in place. CAUTION - the threads on a nipple are tapered - with the epoxy on the threads it will be VERY EASY to split the plastic radiator, so just put a socket over the nipple & hand snug it. Don't use a ratchet. OR: if my '90 cabriolet has the same radiator I'll sell it to you for $45 plus shipping. I'm above Atlanta. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"
Reply to
ThaDriver