91 Golf Coupe Headliner sagging

My 91 Golf Coupe's headliner is sagging completely in the back and starting to come down everywhere else now. I think it happened because of humidity. I would like to reattache the cloth to the ceiling.

What do I use to re-stick the cloth?

Andrew

reply in private email as well as in the NG please.

snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca

Reply to
Andrew Martin

Regluing the cloth means removing the whole thing from the car, removing the cloth, cleaning the board, gluing it, installing it. IMHO you're far more likely to make it worse than better. Get some flat-head tacks (preferably in a color that matches the headliner) and just stick them in the cloth and be done with it that way. Do it in a reasonably symmetrical pattern and they'll look like factory snaps. I know it sounds dumb but it'll look better than it sounds and it's a lot less trouble.

Reply to
Matt B.

I found some clear/flat-headed "pins" -- they have sort of a spiral to them -- in the auto section at Walmart -- haven't put them in yet, but with the spiral they might work better/stay in longer than a tack. Mary

Reply to
Mary A. Smith

(preferably

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Andrew

Been through the routine with my '87 GT, the headliner is sagging because the layer of foam between the headliner fabric and the backer is disintegrating. The way to fix it and make it look reasonable is to pull the headliner and replace the fabric. Pulling the headliner is a bit of a pain but not really difficult, just be careful not to damage the styrofoam backer, then clean it up and glue new fabric on. It is worth the trouble.

You want to go to your local bodyshop supply and get some 3M spray adhesive, tell them what it is for and get some new headliner fabric.

For the fabric I had Autostock (autostock.com) bring in a material from a company called Kraft,

(P/N PH4007),it is very close to the original cream colored fabric. If your localAutostock outlet (Moncton) doesn't seem to know what you are talking about,call their Concord Ontario office and talk to them 905-669-7777. You mighthave to have a company buy the fabric from Autostock for you because theyare strictly wholesale. Cost me about $120. When you go to put the fabric back on, TEST THE ADHESIVE FIRST WITH A SCRAP. It is very liquid and if you use too much it will come through the foam backing of the headliner and show. Sprey the adhesive on the backer, do NOT spray the adhesive on the foam, it will soak through.

Well, that should be enough info to get you into trouble ;>) have fun & you'll be pleased with the result.

Dave R. PS. the reply to is spam blocked, see below

-- David A. Ricker Fall River, Nova Scotia Canada rickerATdbisDOTnsDOTca

Andrew Mart> My 91 Golf Coupe's headliner is sagging completely in the back and

Reply to
David Ricker