'91 Golf Distributor Cap Posts and Rotor Keep Charring Up

Every thousand or so miles my '91 Golf GL starts to lack acceleration. It stops advancing around 2500 RPM. It's because my distributor cap posts and rotor are charring for some reason. I have to get out the Dremel tool with the wire brush and clean it off then the car runs great till it charres up again. It did the same thing when I replaced with new cap and rotor. Standard (original) ignition is installed.

Problem #2. While removing the distributor cap last, I managed to break off one of the clips that holds the cap on. Damned things are a pain. So now part of the clip is stuck up in the groove around the outside of the distributor body. I'm thinking about removing the distributor body, drilling a small hole into the remains of the clip so that I'll have something to pry it out by. Any input is appreciated.

PS: in the meantime I plan on using plastic tape to hold down the distributor cat - just till I can replace the clip or the whole distributor from a salvage yard.

Reply to
Carl Rossman

"It stops advancing around 2500 RPM" just is not right! The ECM advances timing due to factors like Knock Sensor, Throttle switches, etc. but the distributor just kinda sits there on the Digifant II fuel injection AFAIK. Are you using BOSCH caps and rotors? They can last about 40,000 miles but I would recommend a 20,000 mile life. Maybe the ign coil is weak and can not spark hot enough through any buildup. Maybe the wires and spark plugs have too much resistance.

You can take out that distributor and either replace the clip or the entire distributor. Got any U-Pull-It junkyards near you? You would still need a clip! FIX it right!!! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

AMEN!

"It was a dark and stormy night....."

With apologies to Bulwer-Lytton

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Plastic tape won't stand the heat; a lenght of copper wire (domestic electric) will do easily : just pass around the center post, along the side and at the bottom around the distributor holder; then find generic clips (one or two, as sometimes cutting them is necessary), and eject with a screwdriver and a hammer what's left from the old clip (a cylindric piece, that is just inserted in a groove) and you're done. al.

Reply to
al

I think I see your problem...

Reply to