91 golf leak and hesitation

Hi all, I have a 91 Golf GL, just passed 170k. I recently replaced the entire exhaust system, manifold on with the dual downpipe system. It was joy to drive afterwards. About a month or two after the replacement, however, she's developed a hesitation when accelerating from idle and what sounds like an exhaust leak. The major issue is the hesitation. The sound and the hesitation cropped up around the same time, I think.

I was under the hood this morning trying to find the leak. When I cranked the throttle the engine putters down for a second then revs up like it's supposed to. It's the same way when driving. I have to rev the engine for a second then I bring her into 1st, otherwise it's a brief almost embarrasing fight to keep her alive, then a sudden rocket off the line.

I don't think the o2 sensor is the problem. I replaced it about ~10-15k miles ago. There was a slight fight getting it off the old manifold, which may have involved some torch action. It is now located on the cat (She drove just fine for a month like this). I checked the wires and they look good, they run along the firewall so that they are out of the way

I was unsuccessful at finding the leak. I'm going to the store to get a hose for some better listening. I put my hand around the manifold/ downpipe junction and did not feel any puffs, only slight wisps coming from the dp/cat junction.

Any ideas as to the cause of the leak/hesitation?

thanks, Matt

Reply to
MasterChifa

Might be a broken exhaust manifold stud on the cylinder head causing that exhaust leak.

Hesitation.................. Check those ground wires at the valve cover or at the coolant pipe AND the wiring for the throttle body. Those usually break and cause running problems. I sometimes will check the wiring from the ECM harness plug. Bentley manuals make this process fairly easy! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1