91 golf vs parking block

Ok, tonight, i was a total idiot. I thought it'd be smart to pull through and save myself the trouble of backing up... little did i notice that there was a PARKING BLOCK right in front of my car. I popped it in first and pulled through ... "dwup THUNKSSK". "well, i'm an idiot" i told my passenger. threw it in reverse and backed back over it.

Looked at the space i was just in and i see a nice little puddle. my first thought was the oil pan (just happend to a friend of mine). rubbed my fingers in it and it's water, phew i can get home.

I got home jacked it up and looked all over, it appears that VW planned for something like that to happen because NO major engine parts are in the area just behind the wheels, ... where a large block of concrete can easily sneak up...

I could not see dripping (like i did in the parking lot). I'm letting it sit tonight so i can see if it really is leaking. It had rained, so it might just be the rain water getting knocked off the car (fingers crossed)

are there any problem spots I should particularly check? as in something that doesn't take "thwump BAM!" really well?

-thanks for any help

-matt

Reply to
mini chifa

Well you might be lucky, if the block was the whole width of the car then you would have landed on the area designed for the jack, a reinforced section of the rocker panel, which is designed to hold the weight of the car (not sure about dropping the car on it but like I said you may be lucky). The rocker panel is generally the lowest point on the car unless your exhaust dips down a bit, or the exhaust U bolts are pointed down. If the block was painted, you shold see some paint transferred, or some scuff maks on the under carriage where you hit, that will give you a better idea of what made contact, I'm suprised you didn't rip the bumper off when you backed over it to get out.

m> Ok, tonight, i was a total idiot. I thought it'd be smart to pull

Then I'd guess that I am lucky. I checked the underside this morning and it's all dry :) and all fluids are good. That rocker panel is exactly where the skuff marks are (only a few inches from my cat which is lower).

i'd guess the water must have been rain coming out of the drains then...

thanks for the help!

-matt

Reply to
mini chifa

I did the same thing once about 15 years ago in a mustang except I got stuck on the block in the middle of a mall parking lot. Talk about embarrasing. The funny thing is a big truckload of rednecks came by and helped me by picking up the car and moving it. Yup, 4 guys picked up the front of the mustang and moved it over a few feet. It wouldn't start so one of them got under the car, saw that it had broken the Aut. Trans linkage and set it in Park for me to start it, then, once started, put it in D for me to get home. I haven't thought about that in years - your story just jogged my memory.

Reply to
potatoman