91 Jetta self adjusting clutch cable.

I just did a clutch job on a 91 Jetta. Everything went well (have done many of these) after s few days the clutch started to go out of adjustment. It now is impossible to get into gear while the car is running, (grinds). Do these self adjusting clutch cables go bad? This one doesn't seem broken. I can push the clutch release lever up until I feel resistance, feels normal, any ideas?

Reply to
Rex Merriweather

I have seen them go bad with problems like you describe. As long as nothing else has changed for the worst, like the release bearing or it's arm. Also check the rubber washers for the clutch cable end at the transmission.

Can you easily pull the clutch cable housing up off it's base at the transmission?

Reply to
One out of many daves

Yeah! I can pull it once, then it seems to adjust. But no different effect on the release. The rubber on the arm was a little soft, so I shimmed it up with a couple washers, still no effect. Release bearing was replaced, arm looked good and still feels good. I'm new to these self adjusting units and want to make sure this is it before forking out $50.00 for a new one.

transmission.

Reply to
Rex Merriweather

Have a close look at the bracketry around the clutch pedal. People have had problems with the bracket holding the clutch pedal getting bent out of shape. The symptoms are similar to what you describe.

Reply to
Randolph

Did you lube the release bearing before installation? You might need a new bearing and the release shaft/pushrod if you didn't. Approximately where is the level of the release bearing arm when you easily pull it up? About parallel to the ground or higher? Should be about parallel.

Reply to
One out of many daves