91 VW Jetta steel brake lines

My Jetta brake lines have rotted through and leak brake fluid. It is parked until I can replace them all. I found a nice set of rear lines and a new brake proportioning valve (mine was a ball of rust!) but I am having problems locating the lines from the master brake cylinder to the front brakes and to the brake proportioning valve. I don't want to buy straight lines and bend them unless that is my only option. Anyone know where I can find a set in Ohio? I tried Marshall's Salvage yard (Bluffton) but they cut the lines. Thanks!

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

When I lived in Ohio I bought straight lines. I used the old line as a template. You can buy a brake line tubing bender but I always used whatever was in the shop. I looked for spray cans the correct diameter, big sockets, or anythng that might get me the radius I need. I did plenty of Beetle master cylinder to rear lines as they always rusted out.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Yep you can use straight lines and bend them. You can get threaded unions/adapters to hook two or more lines together. You can also find bulk tubing at some stores, although I can't find it when I need it. lol I suggest you get a GOOD Double Flaring Kit so you can customize the length. I think Sears sells one for around $20 or so and it should come with the adapters. I use a Blue Point but have a Craftsman one as a back up tool. Harbor Freight Tools and your FLAPS should sell inexpensive line benders too.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
none2u