91Jetta GL, Diesel interchangable?

91 Jetta GL wolfie with over quarter million miles:

I heard a lot about swapping a gas engine with a Diesel one. How can I know if a particular diesel engine fits my Jetta? I'm thinking about getting a used diesel and let my shop do the swap. But how can I determine if it fits mine? Is there a interchangable quide for engine?

thanks, Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou

Yes it will fit but... There's lots of other stuff to think about. First the diesel does not use the fuel pump in the tank. How about the wireing for the glow plugs. Then there's things like different transmission ratios. And you have to find a good used diesel engine! why not get the whole car?

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Hi Joe, great insight Joe!

true, a whole diesel car for that year may not cost more than $1000. I got mine in 1999 for $1200.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou

Why in the world would you want to do such a thing, Ben? If I recall right from your postings, you have a pretty sweet ride. Why go and mess it up? Besides, this will cost the moon if you have somebody else do it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! - C

Reply to
starburst

you're right. when you start putting hands on driveshaft and axles, you tend to get over-boosted to do more than necessary.

I'll stop this crazy drive.

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou