92 8V jetta

I have a 92 jetta carat. I have owned it for about 2 years and it has given me no problems whatsoever until now. The car shifts but only if the clutch pedal is stepped until the floor, even like that it still takes effort to shift sometimes. Today when I was driving back home from work and school I was driving it on third gear at about 34 mph and then it would not pick up anymore, it would just rev but no power. It runs in all the gears but if you give it a little more than just a little throttel it will just rev but no power. My brother told me that my clutch has passed away but I don't know where else to look now, any other areas I should look at? the car has 134,000 original mile and I believe it still has the original clutch. Also watch is clutch dragging and slipping? thanks for the help guys!

Reply to
nltankontop

WHat is the difference between clutch dragging and clutch slipping? My 92 jetta is shifts only when depressing clutch to floor and it is running but when given more than a little throttle it just revs but no power, is my clutch gone bad or is there other areas to look at?

Reply to
nltankontop

Reply to
Darryl

Clutch dragging means it does not fully disengage, usually because of a clutch cable that is out of adjustment (or fluid leak if you have hydraulic clutch actuation). This makes shifting difficult and is very hard on the synchromesh.

Clutch slipping means the clutch does not fully engage. This could be because the clutch disk is worn out or that the springs are getting weak. Cable adjusted wrong (in the opposite direction of what is the case with dragging clutch) could cause this also. If the clutch is slipping you will see that the engine revs higher but the car does not go faster. You usually start noticing it going up hills or accelerating hard.

A missadjusted clutch cable can cause slipping or dragging, but not both. My guess is that you have a completely worn out clutch (causing the slipping), and that the automatic clutch adjuster (they started using them before 1992) is overcompensating (causing the dragging).

Replac>

Reply to
Randolph

THanks for the posts. Yes, the clutch is the orinal one, I am the second owner of the car and the first owner had all the service records which show no clutch replacement. I dropped of the car the the local vw service shop and they are installing the clutch, rear mail oil seal, and also a valve cover gasket. I was recommended a clutch by the brand of VALEO by a friend of mine, I went ahead and purchased it (more expensive than a stock one) so I hope it gives me better grip. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
nltankontop

Valeo makes all sorts of replacement and OEM parts...clutches (as you found out), lighting components (e.g.: the OEM headlamps on late Eurovans are Valeo units), radiators, etc.

Reply to
Matt B.

Hmmm ya learn something new everyday! :-) Valeo makes clutches huh?

The max I have seen clutches last on the A2s is a little over 140K miles. later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Change that to 172K miles...'cause I'm the original owner of my A2 and it's still on its first clutch.

Reply to
Matt B.

Fantastic that I now can modify my findings for the A2 clutch life. :-) Was that mostly highway miles or city miles? How many years did it take to make those 172K miles? Like 12-14 years?

Although I did have a friend that bought a 1984 Rabbit Diesel in 1988 with 250K miles for $2000. I now wonder if that Rabbit had the original clutch in it too! hmmmm :-)

dave

Mix of each. My commute to work has usually involved at least 50% bumper-to-bumper traffic too, some of it on freeways and some of it on city streets, so it hasn't been an "easy" life of highway miles for the car.

Since January of '91 when I got the car, so 13 years and 3 months.

Reply to
Matt B.

I did a good guess huh? lol I think you deserve an award Matt B!! Great Driver or something! ;-)

dave

Not sure if it's me or VW quality or both. Can't really tell what I do that keeps the clutch from wearing out except that when stopped I don't keep it in gear w/the clutch in...I put it in neutral and let the pedal up (this has something to do with being easier on the throwout bearing or something like that). I try not to slip it much either, but nothing too special. Otherwise I just drive it.

Reply to
Matt B.