92 Golf Sound System

Hey, I have a 1992 Golf Wolfsburg, i think its a 1.8, I just got it so I dont know. Love the thing so far, wish I had more money and time to spend on it, it could use some work. Anyway I gots a question about the sound/electrical system. I just bought a new stereo deck for it and I noticed that the radio reception is really crappy sometimes. When I put the deck in I noticed that the previous owner put an inductor on both the power cables runnin into the radio. Is the power comin out of the alternator that dirty on these cars? Is there any reason to believe that maybe the antenna in the car is kinda crappy? Basically like I said I just got the thing and I dont know anything about VWs, and I really have no time with school to learn. If I could just get some general info on the electrical systems on these cars, how clean/dirty is the power? how many amps does the alternator pump out? Just anything that you guys might know, plz share.

Thanks

Reply to
John Wayne

Rob Guenther

I've found the +12v in both my dubs to be pretty clean, but I'm not into serious stereo stuff--I've just got a set of components running off a 4x25 Alpine HU and a scanner, sometimes with a cheap CB, too. I haven't had problems with electrical noise on any of them, at least in my GTI; in my Jetta, I did get some engine noise on the scanner on a couple of frequencies (although I forget which ones now). The scanner is on a direct-to-battery (yes, I fused it) link with only my VDO gauges on the same circuit, so I may have avoided some problems there.

The Fuba antenna that came on GTIs and GLIs (roof-mount bee-sting-type antenna) sucks, IME. The fender-mount antenna is somewhat better, and I think the biggest problem with the Fuba is the built-in amp (which apparently fails, sometimes intermittantly, over time). Most of the alternators are 90 amp, although I think some are 120. I'm not sure how to tell unless your amp has a sticker on it, and even the service manual basically says "alternators vary." I'm running

80/100 W headlights, 85W fogs, and the aforementioned aftermarket HU, and I didn't have any power issues (i.e. not enough of it) until recently, and I"m pretty sure that there's something wrong with my charging system. I just haven't gotten around to figuring out what yet; I'm suspicious of the alternator, but it could also be the battery (which is old).

To the other guy who complained of lights dimming when he uses the horn, the issue is more likely wiring than your alternator, unless your alternator is actually failing. If you haven't relayed your headlights yet, do so. See Dan Stern's site if you need more info.

Speaking of bad wiring, A2s are particularly susceptible to wiring corrosion, sometimes even within wires (ie not at the ends, so you can't see it). Cleaning all the connections in the engine bay, using dialectic grease, and replacing connectors and wires as necessary might be a good idea.

Reply to
Kevin T. Broderick

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Agreed. There's something not right with the antenna on these cars. My OEM radio would lose nearly all FM reception for whateve reason if my rear defogger was switched on. My radio's cassette deck failed and the replacement radio did no better on the reception issue so that leads me to believe it's an antenna issue. However my two replacement head units later on (OEM radio failed yet again) did better on reception.

sure how to tell unless your amp has a sticker on it

That or if you have A/C you probably have the 120 version. I'd have to dig up old sales brochures for the A2s to check for sure but I believe A/C or non-A/C made the difference in the alternator that you got.

Reply to
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" wrote in news:kXHeb.3390$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Awesome thanks guys. I was wondering about the possibility of the wires rotting out, I should would like to replace em, but thats a pain in the ass if ive ever seen one. As for the guy who said he seems his lights dim, I have the exact same thing, I've got pretty sensitive eyes too, and from time to time I catch them dim for a split sec out of the corner of my eye. I guess you can't complain, 11 years old with Canadian winters will eat up pretty much any car. I have noticed something a bit strange recently however, it has to do with the enigne and cold outside weather. Its been gettin cold at night now and when i start it in the morning, below 2000 rpm the engine seems like it doesnt get enough air or fuel, it becomes very slugish, especially if i put it into second and im below

2000 rpm. This dissapears quickly though once the engine warms up a bit. Anyone have any idea what might cause that. I've read a lot about ppl sayin the oxygen sensors on these cars are kinda bitchy sometimes, its no big deal ill just let it run for a few to warm up in the winter.
Reply to
John Wayne

The 120 amp is from the AC version some people wired the antenna to the defogger when they had problems with the antenna some people did it because they thought it gave better reception, I know for a fact on some old escorts the radiator made a better antenna than the antenna itself.

Reply to
Absolute Xaero