92 Jetta Front end sound when turning

Today on my way back home school i noticed a weird sound when I made a left turn. It kinda sounds like like a mild tire squeal but I am not sure. Could it be that I need my tires balanced? Maybe i need an alignment but I notice no uneven tire wear. Any suggestions would be appreicated, the noise is only heard when making left turns.

Reply to
nltankontop

wheels out of balance would show up as vibration at speed

alignment would show up as not holding a straight line and/or tires wearing unevenly.

For your issue, I'd suspect something more along the lines of wheel bearings (although these usually manifest themselves in a rumbly tire-noise like sound and not a squeal) or CV joint (although usually that's a clicking or clunking).

Reply to
Matt B.

And maybe I'm thinking too hard on this one (see previous post).

Have you checked your tire pressures? Do so and get them to match VW's recommended pressures (usually on a sticker on the door jamb) and see if that fixes it.

Reply to
Matt B.

I will check the tire pressure tomorrow morning and post back when I get home. Would there by any play in the wheel if the bearing is starting to go bad? How expensive is it to change the bearing? Do I have to change both sides together?

Reply to
nltankontop

Power steering belt maybe???, or would that not have a bias for left turns?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

There could be but I didn't notice any on mine. nevertheless it was going bad.

Just had it done on my '91 GTI. $184.95 at the dealer, parts and labor.

No but if one is going the other may not be far behind. But just keep your ears peeled for funny noises.

But start simple (air pressure) and go from there first.

Reply to
Matt B.

That's a thought, but I'd think it'd make noise mostly at full lock on either side.

Reply to
Matt B.

That seems incredibly cheap.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

it was the tire pressure. Hard to tell from just looking at it but the pressure was at about 20 psi i put more air and took it up to 35 psi and now the noise is gone, thanks for the help guys

Reply to
nltankontop