92 Jetta horn keeps blowing with key on

Had to pull the fuse to shut the horn off on my 92 Jetta. Anyone have this and know what to check for first. Tried the relay but that's not it.

Later Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmie

Could be a stuck (or shorted) horn button in the steering wheel.

Reply to
Papa

remove the steering wheel and check the 3 screws which hold the switch down.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Had this problem in my 92 gl. Turns out the wire running though steering column had its insulation rubbed off. Would only stick intermittently and always at the most inconvienient time. New wire pulled through fixxed it

Reply to
Joe Hancock

Most likely yes it's a chafed wire in the steering wheel. The horn is actually always powered when the ignition is on and the horn button just completes ground. In your case the wire is already grounding itself.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks to all for the replies. Finally got at it today. There are 2 horns on this car and the one under the front fender was keeping the circuit grounded. Disconnected this one and all OK. This was after I had the steering column and fuse panel dismantled. Might help someone else.

Later

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmie