92 Jetta Knocking Sound when Shifting

I have a 92 jetta manual that has had multiple things fixed i.e. O2 and temp sensor, muffler, computer, o ring, etc. And i now have a knocking sound when shifting into 1st, into 2nd, and doesn't occur consistently in

3rd and not at all at 4th and 5th. but when it is in gear it seems fine. i have been driving this car for a year and haven't had this problem before. The problem stops when i stop and go a couple times on the way to work. The sound seems like it is coming from underneath my seat, near the catalytic converter. It occurs even when i am going straight, so it is not the steering. any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
Reply to
vancsby

Check the exhaust system clearances, sounds like you might have a rub somewhere

Reply to
Biz

what do you mean by "rub".

Reply to
vancsby

If you got your exhaust from muffler shop the generic system they installed is most likely hitting things.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The exhaust is hitting something.

Most likely since it's coming from under your seat, the exhaust it hitting the "mystery bar". The mystery bar is a metal bar under the car that nobody knows why it's there (but most likely it's so if the exhaust system does break apart and/or the hangars break you don't go dragging it around). Anyway, the system is either not aligned right or you have one or more broken hangars and the exhaust is hitting this bar. Take it back to the muffler shop and have them correct it.

Reply to
Matt B.

I thought the "mystery bar" was there to stiffen the floor pan.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I supposed it could do that although it seems fairly lightweight though...doesn't seem liike it'd hold up under a lot of load.

Reply to
Matt B.