92 Passat heater core

I replaced the heater core on my 92 Passat (big job). Now the heat is minimal at best - already changed the thermostat. I never removed or crimped the control cables and the temp cable moves smoothly and it seems fully. Could the door behind it be malpositioned somehow?

Any chance I could cout a hole in the air tunnel behind the glove box and reposition it?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Rich D

I did the same to my 96 golf and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to bleed the system. I finaly reverse flushed the entire system and now I have heat...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Eduardo K. wrote in news:dk60or$l8t$ snipped-for-privacy@puff.nn.cl:

What the crap is backflushing? I had the core replaced on my 89 fox, and now I have NO heat, ZERO. the slide switch is flipping the door, so whats up?

Reply to
Kevin

I inserted a garden hose in the upper hose, going to the engine and user water pressure to unclog the system.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Who replaced your Fox heater core? The dealer??? If so they might have installed a bypass to the heater core. Every Fox I have seen that had a problem with getting heat has one of these bypass units on it. :-(

Reply to
One out of many daves

No a dealer didnt do it, some flunkie. I have driven it for months, so it just couldnt be air locked that long could it? He also screwed up the ac. I tried to refill with freon and it is stopped up. wouldnt take freon. I got screwed big time.

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

Where the whole cooling system is flushed out and cleaned by pushing water continuously through one end and emptying on another end the rust, grime, crap.

Service locations have a machine to do this professionally THOUGH you can buy a flush kit at a discount parts supply retail chain for around 5 dollars.

I used the 5 dollar unit for a friends car that constantly craps up the liquid and flush every 6 months or so (Ford). The 5 dollar thing woks great by putting a tee in on of the hoses and cap. Has a spout that pushes in the radiator to direct the flush away from the car. You hook your garden hose to an adapter that screws on the threads of the tee (black end on tee, yellow end on hose - about two-inch long adapter that vents water at the right pressure) Start engine and flush for (I do) about 15 20 minutes. You may see all kind of crap-liquid come out before it runs clear. When done, put cap back on tee add water and antifreeze and you are done. (always capture or release antifreeze keeping in mind that it is posioness to pets and animals who are attracted by the sweetness and taste AND deadly - my brother's dog died of it some years ago with careless handling)

About heater cores: I just put one in my Golf that turned out easier than I thought finding a short VW tech article on it in these archives having never done it before, wading through the conflicting information. Strangely, my core, that came with the foam seal around it and new firewall piece, (around $30 dollars total plus 8 bucks shipping on Ebay) gets hot but takes much longer than the old core did. I have had this car for years AND *I think* I put a low temperature thermostat that explains it. It works well enough but the car originally got hot after you drove only a mile or two. Now it is 5 or 10 minutes to come up to temperature but it does get hot though not so hot as before.

Harry

Reply to
Harry