93 VW Golf Diesel

I know that all VW's have their quirks, but is it normal when you take your foot off the pedal and it jolts and decelerates quick?. I know that it's normal for automatic gas any make, but is it for VW?. Or is their an equallizer/pressure valve somewhere to prevent this?.

Reply to
tnkgrl7

none2u

Hi, i had a 92 jetta turbo diesel and it had the same thing. Am quite sure its normal. Diesels fire on compression and no fuel going to the engine when you lift off will slow down the car. You can use that to your advantage by lifting off the gas pedal well before coming up to aa red light and not using the brake pedal unless you really have to (much like compression braking in semi`s, saves brakes in the long run.

"tnkgrl7" wrote: > I know that all VW's have their quirks, but is it normal when > you take > your foot off the pedal and it jolts and decelerates quick?. I > know > that it's normal for automatic gas any make, but is it for > VW?. Or is > their an equallizer/pressure valve somewhere to prevent this?.

Reply to
HANK

Awsome, thanks guys. This damn car is driving me off the deep end. So many problems, so little money. What would be best for my POS, it started pissing diesel like it was free, so the seals in the injector pump are done, should I re-ring it or just get a new pump?. I was told(not sure if it is correct) that the diesel fuel has changed over the past few months and is drying up all the seals, has anyone heard of this?. I'm in Guelph, Ontario, unless its the water, lol.

Reply to
tnkgrl7

I'm experiencing the same thing at this very moment in my '84 Rabbit. The US switched to ULSD this fall. As I understand it, the technology that reduces the sulphur in the fuel, also removes much of the lubricity. All it took was burning about 10-15 gallons of the new stuff and my IP has sprung a leak. At this moment, I'm assessing my options. I made a call to a diesel injection service place yesterday. The guy on the phone said they have been swamped with IP repairs this fall. As for resealing versus rebuilding, there are pros and cons. The reseal is much cheaper. He (located in Iowa) quoted me $175 to reseal it. Rebuilding it would be closer to $550. However, there are a few places that sell remanufactured Bosch IPs for $400. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning toward this last option. I'm grimacing at the total cost which is probably going to cost me around $550 after installation. But at least I'll have a rebuilt pump and no leaks. (BTW, both Parts Place and VW Diesel Parts have the remanufactured IPs for $399. But this cost is for mine. I believe yours might be even more expensive.)

Good luck, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
none2u

Try this link, there is a bit of stuff for your rabbit,(i love those cars) wish I could get one again. Every now and again you will get lucky and find lots of parts.

tnkgrl7

Also, call the scrap yard and get them to cross refrence the IP, something else might fit that is more readily available. I did that with my fuel distributer for my passat, jetta fit and works well. Good luck.

Reply to
tnkgrl7

"Bryan K. Walton" wrote

Yeah, I have leak too. There is a guy on Ebay with 100 per cent positive who reseals *working* injector pumps for $115 with a day or two turnaround. The item number is 250061848563 probably finished auction when this is read but is contactable. There are also reseal kits on Ebay for 29 bucks.

I have a new front seal to put on but I can't tell where my leak is fully assembled. I will have to pull the shroud on top and see if it is visible leaking, other than that as long as it is not real bad, not having a garage, I will do it in spring.

Harry

Reply to
Harry 1

There is/was a thread on tdiclub.com about this. It looks fairly easy to change the o ring on some diesels with a few tools, a special bolt and some duck tape. I think there is a link at dieselgeek.

I guess the 1993 is not covered by the article but there is a chance the concept is the same. Be clean and do not lose anything. If I guy is offering to reseal for $100 then one might assume it is less than a 2 hour job assuming that he wants to work for a living wage. Experience speeds the process up a lot.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I have heard about this new fuel creating problems due to the lack of lubricating properties. Can one just add some proper lubricant to the fuel during a fillup to stop the seal problem? The seals are drying up and splitting right?

I have even heard of some adding motor oil, either new or well filtered to the fuel to help lubricate.

Just curious, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1