94 Golf Odomoter just went to 000

Hi folks,

I have a 94 Golf, purchased in March of this year with relatively high kms... generally runs great, a few items to be addressed in the near future but a strong engine and great car.

Anyway, it's been creeping up toward 300,000 kms, and the other day when the big rollover was about to occur, it rolled from 299,999 kms to.... 0. Is this normal? Called the local dealer and he told me it was normal... so I figure it must be, but couldn't find any reference to this online or in this group, so I figured I'd ask around in case any others have seen this?

Also wondering about implications for future sale of the vehicle, should I choose to... should I get something signed by a VW tech or anything to the effect that the vehicle rolled back to 0 at 300,000 so I don't appear to be cheating anyone... any suggestions?

Thanks, Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

Yes, it is only intended to measure one light second in distance.

Reply to
PeterD

Yep it's normal. While there are enough digits to go to 999,999 km, for whatever reason it doesn't...they reset to 0. Kinda sucks actually...would be nice to see the true mileage there.

Reply to
Matt B.

I would not bother with that, as long as you don't represent the mileage. Write the actual mileage on the bill of sale if you like.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Interesting... I wonder what the rationale was. VW underestimating the lifespan of their vehicles? Strange. Anyway, thanks for the response!

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

yeah i have no idea what the reasoning is there. but it does it with both miles and kms...either way when it reaches 300,000 it "resets" to zero.

This shows it's not just you:

Two people in that thread said it happened to them. One of them made an interesting observation though...when this happens, the word "total" disappears. Did yours do that?

Reply to
Matt B.

Many older U.S. made domestic vehicles roll over at 99,999 miles. There is no 6th digit. Yet they still run, and zero out like yours. Shame on those automakers. Bast#rds.

There's is usually a mileage statement on titles regarding to actual mileage by the owner at time of sale.

Reply to
Jonny

Now that you mention it, I do notice that the "total" is gone. Interesting...

Reply to
Jeremy