94 Golf Oil Light

When driving after engine warms up at certain rev ranges, 75-80km/hr in 5th, same range for other gears (no tach), the oil light and buzzer go on. Down shifting or speeding up/slowing down stops the problem. Oil level is fine, 0 leaks I can find. Unsure if its a electrical or mechanical problem. Dealer wants an arm and leg to try and discover problem. Any thoughts before I start trouble-shooting this myself. Nobody I've talked to has heard of this. Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris in Halifax

Reply to
Christopher Nordland

Randolph

Check the oil pressure with a real mechanical oil pressure meter. You will find the pressure will be too low around 2200 RPM and that is when the buzzer will trip.

Once it's warmer try 15W50 oil which will help the pressure stay up.

Reply to
Peter Parker

You've got 2 warning systems. The first one warns you when you've got low oil pressure during idle. The second one tells you that you've got lower oil pressure (6 psi?) at speed. Hence, when that buzzer goes off, and you downshift, you're revving the motor to get more oil pressure. I had this problem a lot when I had my previous motor that had a cracked piston. I also had this problem when I didn't use 20w-50 conventional, or 5w-50 synthetic oil.

First, get an oil guage. You'll look cool with one on the dash. That way you can keep track of this.

Second, change oil. I'm betting you just changed oil, and you're running

10w-30? Consult your manual. The latter starts a little slower in winter, but they both fine work in my A2. BTW, my winters here aren't very much different than yours in Halifax. Yes, I've been to Halifax (and St. Johns NF) in winter.

Third, if this doesn't work, consider the oil pump / sump as a problem. As I recall, my oil pan has 16,545 bolts (okay, not quite that many) then it comes right off, and the oil pump comes off with 2 more bolts. Simple.

Tim Wohlford '89 A2

Reply to
Tim Wohlford