'94 Seat Ibiza question

I'm visiting my brother-in-law in Israel. He has a '94 Seat Ibiza, which has just one issue that he'd like to resolve. I'm the car guy of the crowd. I'm quite familiar with US SPEC VW's with 1.8's and various forms of injection, but don't know much about what's in this car. The motor is a 1.6 gas with fuel injection, but it looks like it's some sort of throttle body injection. The motor has a cross-flow head on it with the intake on the rear side and the distributor right out the end of the head. The motor is canted towards the front of the car as opposed to the motor being canted towards the rear of the car in the US SPEC cars I'm used to.

They have issues with the car stumbling occasionally from an idle. It's worse on cold and damp mornings and seems to continue all day long. You have to get the revs up high to launch on these occasions. Aside from checking the cap, rotor, and wires, what other common problems are these cars susceptible to?

Who manufactures this motor? VW? Seat?

Too bad they don't import some of the cars they have over here to the states! I don't much care for all the micro cars here, but I like the Polo's, and also see many attractive Skoda's over here.

Reply to
bruce

I was all ready to say Digifant until you said x-flow. So the intake is on the rear side and the exhaust on the front side? odd.

Again, odd.

I'd say it's probably one or more of the three things you mention. Sounds like ignition is working perfectly when dry but is susceptible to moisture.

By '94 I'm pretty sure VW had a big chunk of Seat and Seats were on VW platforms. Does it look kinda like this?

if so, I'm 99.9% sure that car was a different body on a Polo platform so I'd expect the engine to be VW.

Engine look like this?

The engine bay looks VERY VW...coolant tank, etc. I'd say it is a VW engine for sure...we just never saw that engine over here.

Reply to
Matt B.

Its a VW engine, most likely Digifant. We got those down here too.

There is Relay market with the number '30' in the fuse box of digifant engines. They fail and make low RPM and idle very erratic. If its in a black box and look original, change it. The reaplacement comes ina white box and its redesigned...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

really? do all digifants have this relay? I have an intermittent erratic idle on my '91 that comes and goes and seems electrical related because the problem comes and goes almost predictably in a cycling manner. what is this relay for? ECU? fuel pump?

Reply to
Matt B.

at least all Digifants in newer VWs. Oldest fuel inyected VW we got where I live is 93, so I dont know much about older cars.

Reply to
Eduardo K.