94 VR6 Passat Drive Belt and Tensioner?

Hi all,

The general age of my mount, coupled with the end of year deals, prompted the wife and I to look at some new iron. In the end, rational minds took the day, and it looks like I'm going to try to keep my old green beast on the road another year or two. BTW, I've had my 5spd Passat since new and she is just ready to turn 100,000 miles.

Over the past couple of years, she has had the following items replaced: (1) Air conditioning radiator (stone strike), (2) water pump, twice (shop picked up all charges on the second since the first replacement didn't make a year), (3) shock, struts and springs, all corners (their was a broken rear spring, and it was cheaper to buy a whole set of H&R's vs two new factory rears) and front wheel bearings, (4) new brakes, all corners (first set for the rears and second for the front), (5) new tires (my fourth set). A couple of hoses and vacuum lines have also been replaced, as needed, but nothing recent.

The question, is what should I worry about, and perhaps replace prior to failure? Of course, there is the clutch, but there should be plenty of warning on that one, and failure won't tear anything up. The item that has me a bit concerned is the serpentine drive belt and tensioner. Should this be done? Will its failure cause any damage? Also, what about the camshaft drive chains and tensioner? Are there any issues for this vintage of VR6? No noise, yet, knock on wood. I'm still on the original alternator, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see that one go soon too.

I really have enjoyed this car, and despite the recent expense, which I pretty much consider normal for this vintage of automobile, she hasn't spent much unscheduled time in the shop. I just want to make her last at least another year or so, and maybe 15,000 miles.

Thanks all for any helpful suggestions.

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos

My 94 Jetta 2.0 has 202000 miles and is running better now than ever. Of course it has it's share of new parts and replaced fluids. If it still runs good, why not? If I was made out of money, I would order a new Audi RS6 for $92K and mod it to make 690 HP at the crank. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker