94 VW Jetta Fuel Filter

Help. My car shuts off as I'm driving. Sometimes I can pump and restart it. Sometimes it has to sit for 5 minutes before I can restart it. I had the fuel lines cleaned. I was going to change the Fuel Filter. I have seen that it has a "lifetime fuel filter" but I have seen some recommendations to change the filter after a number of years regardless. I would like to change the filter myself if I can. Can anyone give a recommendation how to do this? Should iIbe worried about the fuel injectors as well? Thanks Z

Reply to
z.clayton.niederman

CHANGE THAT FUEL FILTER!!!!!! It might be clogged and will cause problems with pressure/volume and might damage the fuel pump. How long is a "lifetime"? I have changed a few that look like they have been on the car over 10 years and are rusted and about to leak. BTW the Fuel Pump is not cheap!

And what do you mean that it shuts off? Are you on the highway and the engine just quits? OR are you coming to a stop and the engine dies out while you are pressing on the brakes? Different things to consider depending on HOW/WHEN the engine shuts off.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks! Hasn't died on the freeway. Although I haven't used it much on the freeway since it started last week, and now would definitely not test it on the freeway. It seems to die at low speeds, often when braking, but sometimes just going ~20mph. the first couple days i could restart it midstream. no it might take five minutes. i'm hesitant to try to even drive it to the shop. How can i change the filter myself? Thanks Z

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
z.clayton.niederman

It's on the passenger side of the car around the back tire. When you get under the car you will either see the filter there, or you will see a plastic shroud/cage/holder that is supporting it. Basically unbolt it from the undercarriage, unfasten the rear gas line and quickly put on the new one (gas will come out of the tank. You want to do this first so you can make the change quickly and are not bound by the filter being in any particular position). Then you can replace the front gas line. Finally remount the filter to the undercarriage.

If you go buy the filter first you'll know what you're looking for. The VW feul fitler is huge compared to most american cars.

I think there are a couple 10 or 14 mm bolts that hold it up to the undercarriage too.

If you buy a Hayes book it will be of great help to you in getting this and many other repairs done.

HTH and good luck. z

Reply to
zatatime

got a new Haynes repair manual if you want one. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1