'95 2.0L - Help With Timing Belt

I think my 95 2.0L ABA engine's timing belt skipped some teeth. Just to verify, is this the timing mark on the flywheel, properly aligned with the bell housing?

This engraved line is about equidistant between two standoffs on the flywheel which look like this:

I love Bentley manuals, but sometimes their drawings tell me no useful information whatsoever.

Finally, if this is the correct line, I am out-of-time by about 90o on the camshaft pulley (i.e. the O-T mark is about 90 degrees ahead of where it should be when this mark is lined up). Before this, I had stupidly turned the engine over via the camshaft rather than the crankshaft--could I really have jumped enough teeth to be this far off?\

TIA, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Royce

ALWAYS CHECK THE FLYWHEEL MARK WITH TDC POSITION OF THE #1 PISTON. Remove the #1 sparkplug and stick like a plastic straw in the hole and try to get the piston to it's highest spot while slowing rotating engine back and forth. That is what I always do to be sure.

I have seen one or two flywheels off or without a mark. 8^o

Where are you setting up the camshaft sprocket mark? Yes it is possible you caused the belt to jump if the belt was loose.

dave

OK. I can do that. But is the mark I show the correct one, assuming that it is in the write place on the flywheel?

I am lining up the O-T arrow on the valve cover in between the O & T teeth of the camshaft sprocket. That I understand based on the Bentley picture.

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Jonathan Royce

The flywheel should have a mark that looks like a "o" for TDC.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Is it engraved so as to be obvious? I mean is it deeply engraved like the line I show in my first picture?

Reply to
Jonathan Royce

For posterity's sake, I will reply to my own question. I used dave's suggestion and checked for TDC using a coat hanger. Sure enough, the mark I photographed is TDC on my flywheel.

I retimed everything today and the car is running great. New serpentine belt & new v-belt, although I reused the timing belt. Apparently on the Cabrio's, there is a motor mount that needs to be removed in order to replace the belt. I didn't have time to screw with that today, so I just got everything lined up and put the old one back on (it was in fine condition).

Thanks for the help.

Happy driving, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Royce